Tuesday 24 January 2017

Carry On Voting: Frankie Howerd's Best Film

 

This year marks Frankie Howerd's centenary. I am a massive Frankie fan and have been since I was a small child. I'd love him even if he hadn't guest starred in two Carry On films but the fact that he did (not to mention an excellent turn in a Christmas Special) just makes me adore him all the more.

March 2017 will see several tribute blogs from me to mark the occasion and I really think we need to make a bit of a fuss. Frankie was quite simply one of the best post-war comedians Britain produced. His life on screen and off was fascinating and his many career highs and lows make for great books and documentaries. What I love about Frankie was that he always bounced back, no matter what. He continued to do what he always did, all that changed was that society, whether it be film makers, television producers or the great British public themselves, suddenly remembered just what a talent he was and how much he could make us laugh.

This poll is for no reason other than I wanted to draw attention both to Frankie's centenary and the fact that he made several great films during his career (you'll notice I've not included The Cool Mikado...) Vote for as many films as you like and vote as often as you like. Of course I've included his two Carry On outings - Doctor and Up The Jungle but I've also drawn attention to some of his lesser known 1950s films and of course his trio of Up The...movies from the early 1970s.

Frankie was mainly known for his television shows and stand up appearances but he was also an accomplished screen actor at being, well himself. No shame in that either. He was an original, a one off and we must always remember how talented and unique he was. 

So Carry On Voting for Francis and I'll reveal the results in March!


 

Powered byTypeform

No comments:

Post a Comment