Friday 28 December 2018

Carry On Interviewing: Highlights from 2018


The past year has seen me have the great pleasure of interviewing several really interesting people for the blog. I love interacting with fans, people I connect with via Twitter and of course figures connected with acting and the Carry Ons. I thought I would provide a run down of some of my highlights from 2018 for your festive delectation.



In February I interviewed the author Kaye Crawford about her wonderful biography of the late actress Beryl Reid. Kaye was a delight to be in touch with and I thoroughly recommend you check out her excellent book. You can read all about it right here.

Back in March I had the huge pleasure of spending an hour on the phone with the delightful Patricia Franklin. Patricia appeared in Carry On Camping, Carry On Loving, Carry On Girls, Carry On Behind and Carry On England and was wonderful to talk to. You can read Part 1 of our interview here and Part 2 right here



The very next day I went on to chat with the actor Hugh Futcher about his life, career and Carry On associations. Hugh worked with the very best in the Carry On team in such films as Carry On Spying, Don't Lose Your Head, Again Doctor, Girls and Behind. Part 1 of our chat is here with the follow up here.



In May I had a lovely chat on the phone with Carry On historian Robert Ross. I had interacted with Robert for several years but this was the first time we actually had a proper natter and it was a joy. You can read more on that here.



In July I had the great good fortune to secure an interview with German born Hollywood legend Elke Sommer. Elke was the very glamorous guest star of the 1975 film Carry On Behind and it was a thrill to feature her thoughts on making that film, working with Kenneth Williams and many other aspects of her life and career. You can read our interview here.



Also in July I was in touch with the multi-talented Julian Dutton. A big fan of the Carry Ons, Julian was about to take his one man show on the life of John Le Mesurier to the Edinburgh Festival. We had a fascinating interview which you can read again right here.



July also saw me interview another delightful Julian, the Carry Ons' very own Julian Holloway. Possibly the highlight of my blogging year, Julian was an absolute gentleman and we enjoyed a very pleasant chat indeed. Part 1 of our interview is here and part 2 can be read again here.



In September I interviewed the singer and actor David Kernan. David only made one Carry On appearance, as Nicholas in Carry On Abroad, but he has enjoyed a wonderful career, mainly on the stage, as well as friendships with the likes of Hattie Jacques and Joan Sims. You can read our interview here.




And finally, in a first for Carry On Blogging, earlier this month I featured my first every blog (that's a video blog to you and me). Produced by the lovely people at Rabbit and Snail films, 'Carry On Film Talk' saw contributors Morris Bright, Phil Campbell, Mark Priest and Judy Matheson talk about their favourite Carry Ons with Richard Edwards. It was an absolute pleasure to be in touch with Richard on this project and I hope you all enjoyed it. You can read about it (and of course watch the film) here.

I hope you have enjoyed my blogging interviews this year. Hopefully 2019 will promise some more special treats!

You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and on Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment