Wednesday 19 August 2015

Carry On Fan of the Week: Nick!



I am just loving these Fan of the Week blogs so do keep your answers coming in! This week we hear from another wonderful Carry On fan, so it's over to Nick...

What was the first Carry On film you ever saw? 
That was Sergeant. It was when I was a young boy of probably four or five. I remember sitting down with my dad to watch it on telly and howling with laughter at the antics of Kenneth Connor, particularly on the rope swing. Always used to watch out for the films in the tv schedules. Didn't actually see one at the cinema until Abroad came out by which time I would've been probably 13. Me and my mates went to see it at the Leeds Odeon.

Who is your favourite Carry On actor and why?
I think it's probably Sid. I love his laugh, the cheekiness of his characters. Had to slap myself the other day at work. A new girl started and when I saw her I couldn't help giving the low pitched growl like Sid does when he first sees Cleo. Like I say, had to slap myself for such inappropriate behaviour for this day and age.



Who is your favourite Carry On actress and why?
Probably Hattie. Possibly Joan. Love the Hattie/Joey the budgie scenes in Convenience. Makes me laugh every time, even after all the times I've seen it. I always give a little whistle every time I hear the name Cleopatra. Joan's performance as Lady Ruff-Diamond was brilliant, especially the final dinner scene.

Who is your favourite Carry On supporting actor?

Big Bernard. Unless he's counted as a main character. Love the ladies, Jacki Piper, Angela Douglas, Sally Geeson and Carole Hawkins. But I'm going to go for another little lady, Esma Cannon, especially her role in Cruising. The getting drunk with Dilys Laye (oh yes her and Liz Fraser as well) was superb.



Have you ever visited any Carry On film locations?
No. Not that I know of anyway.

Have you ever met any Carry On actors?

No. The nearest I've ever come is when Angela Douglas followed me on Twitter. 

Do you have any Carry On memorabilia?

Just the DVDs and a whole set of video tapes that are clogging up space in the spare room. Oh I do have a t-shirt with Sid on that I got from Asda the other year. That's all. Not much of a collector.

Finally, what's your all time favourite Carry On film?

I think it's probably Convenience. It looked like it was a joy to make for the team as well as to watch. Unfortunately it wasn't a hit due to the great British public thinking they were having the piss taken from them. I find that hard to believe myself.




Thanks again to Nick for taking part! If you want to be a Carry On Fan of the Week, all you have to do is email your answers to carryonfan15@gmail.com



You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also Facebook

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.

No comments:

Post a Comment