Sunday 2 August 2015

Which Carry On Star would you most like to meet?


I have heard from many of you through the wonderful world of Twitter. So many of you have been lucky enough to meet some of the Carry On stars, either at shows, film conventions or even just in the course of every day life. 

I have only ever met two Carry On actors face to face, although they were both absolute legends. A few years ago I went to a screening of Carry On Screaming in South London and the wonderful Fenella Fielding came along to watch the film and take part in a question and answer session. Afterwards she signed autographs and I'm lucky enough to have a signed Screaming poster and also photos of me with the gorgeous Fenella. And she was absolutely lovely.


I have also met the brilliant Sheila Hancock. Having seen her on stage in The Birthday Party, I went along to see Sandi Toksvig interview Sheila to promote her book about life after the death of her husband John Thaw. It was a wonderful evening and she was lovely to talk to afterwards. More recently I also attended a talk Sheila gave to promote her first novel (which is well worth a read).

I sadly missed out on another, similar occasion. I had tickets to attend an event where Anita Harris was the star guest. Unfortunately I was ill, however some friends were there and they came back with a lovely Carry On Doctor print with a personal message from Anita! I was thrilled, although I still wish I had met her properly.



I have also had the good fortune to have seen a few Carry On actors performing. Most recently I saw Jim Dale's wonderful one man show at London's Vaudeville Theatre but before that I also attended platform events at the National Theatre which saw both Leslie Phillips and June Whitfield interviewed to promote autobiographies. Not Carry On related, but I also went to see Terry Wogan interview one of my comedy legends back in 2005, the late great Eric Sykes. I was thrilled to meet both Eric and his agent, Norma Farnes afterwards and he happily signed by copy of his book. A wonderful memory.

So this begs the question, which Carry On actor would you most like to meet? I'd love to know which Carry On legend would be at the top of your wish list. If I had to choose one now, it would probably be the fantastic Liz Fraser, who always gives such good value in interviews! 



You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also Facebook

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.

1 comment:

  1. I would LOVE to meet Fenella, as a matter of fact I am next month :D

    ReplyDelete