Wednesday 16 September 2015

Carry On Fan of the Week: Sharleene!



It's time once again to meet another Carry On fan of the week! This week it's over to Sharleene who shares her favourite Carry On memories, including why her heart belongs to Sid James, why she adores the versatility of Joan Sims and At Your Convenience is her pick of the Carry Ons! 



What was the first Carry On film you ever saw?

'Carry on Cowboy' recorded on VHS back in the 1980's. I literally wore
the tape to nothing watching it over and over as a child. I think the joke eventually
wore thin with my dad every time I passed him his glasses and did my best
Kenneth Williams with 'here are your spectacles'...so my parents introduced
me to the rest of these fantastic movies to widen my comedy quotations.

Who is your favourite Carry On actor and why?

They are all magical on screen especially Kenneth Williams but my heart belongs to Sid James. His dirty laugh, cheeky grin and wonderful portrayal of various characters from The Captain of the SS Happy Wanderer to the Rumpo Kid is always a delight. He takes the comedy serious and he always gives us a first class performance that leaves you wanting more.


Who is your favourite Carry On actress and why?

Joan Sims. This lady just hits my funny bone every time. From the flirty Miss Ding Dong to the nagging Mrs Bung I love watching her on the screen. In my opinion the last
of the great female comedians, her comic timing is fantastic.

Who is your favourite Carry On supporting actor?

I have to admit a love for character actor Percy Herbert. He is one of these rare people
who make anything they are in just that bit better. Having seen him in war and fantasy films, it's a wonderful treat to see him tackle comedy. I also must give a shout out to Peter Gilmore, always fantastic in every carry-on role, I wish he had of done more.

Have you ever visited any Carry On film locations?

Not yet but I would love too and am very interested in any recommendations anyone has.


Have you ever met any Carry On actors?

Unfortunately no and I would probably turn to jelly if I did 

Do you have any Carry On memorabilia?

I have the magazines filed away from about 12 years ago when you could collect
them along with a dvd every fortnight. Does that count? These are special to me
not only because they are carry-on magazines but they are the first items me and my husband collected together when we were dating and im sure he only asked me to marry him so we didn't have to split up the set ;-)

Finally, what's your all time favourite Carry On film?

In all honesty id rather choose between my kids! But if I had to choose just one I think
i'd have to pick 'Carry on at your convenience'. People always look at me as if im mad
as its not regarded as one of the classics but its got most of the regulars in and I find
it such an easy, fun, cheerful film and its my 'go-to' movie if I cant make up my mind
what to watch.


Many thanks once again to Sharleene for taking part! If you would like to be one of my Carry On Fans of the Week all you have to do is email your answers to carryonfan15@gmail.com . 



You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also Facebook

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.

No comments:

Post a Comment