Saturday 22 October 2016

Carry On Blogging Interview: Sally Geeson

 

I recently caught up with the lovely Sally Geeson to chat about her time working with the wonderful Sid James on the classic television series Bless This House as well as her time with the Carry On team in the early 1970s. Along the way, the likes of Norman Wisdom, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price are also mentioned, so Carry On Reading to find out more...

First of all, I'd love to know more about what made you want to become an actor. Was it something you always wanted to do?


Our parents sent me and Judy to full time Drama School, The Corona Stage School, when I was 7 and Judy was 9. They loved the theatre themselves, and I guess they decided it might be a good career for us girls. My Mum worked in the Box Office selling tickets at The Colliseum in London, this was when my parents first met first met. Then after the war my Dad went into Advertising.


One of your early film appearances was in Carry On Regardless - it took me forever to spot you in a crowd scene! Do you have any memories of that experience?

I remember making a lot of films when I was a child: The Millionairess. Don't Raise The Bridge Lower The River (with Jerry Lewis). Expresso Bongo. The Young Ones. Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter. Spare The Rod. The list is long, but one other was Carry On Regardless. I only vaguely remember filming this.

 

Quite early on in your career you starred opposite Norman Wisdom in the film What's Good for the Goose. What was that film like to make and what was Norman like to work with?

Norman Wisdom was a joy to work with, his amazing comedy talent and his sense of humour was with him at all times. He was a kind, sensitive and sweet man who clearly adored his children who came to visit him on location.

In 1969 you appeared in the horror film The Oblong Box. What are your memories of that film and of working alongside the likes of Christopher Lee and Vincent Price?


I was thrilled and honoured to work with Vincent Price in The Oblong Box and Cry Of The Banshee, he was great fun with huge humour and so nice to me. Christopher Lee was also brilliant, very professional and at all times helpful to a young actress like myself.

 


I must ask you about Bless This House, it's one of my favourite television comedies. What was it like to be a part of that team for so many successful series?

Bless This House were the happiest years of all. I loved Sid, Diana and Robin Stewart, plus working at wonderful Thames Television by the river at Teddington.


You always speak so fondly of the late, great Sid James, which is lovely to hear. Looking back, how do you remember Sid now?

I remember Sid with great affection, we got on so well, always chatting daily about this and that. Definitely a Dad and Daughter rapport right from the start. Sid's laid back, relaxed and humorous personality created a happy atmosphere for all the cast and crew.

 

Your television Mum in Bless This House was Diana Coupland, another actor I'm very fond of. What was she like to work with?

Beautiful Diana was perfect as Sid's on screen wife Jean. Patsy Rowlands was hilarious as Betty the neighbour, and Tony Jackson was cast superbly as Sid's neighbour and mate, 
Sid often commented how excellent Tony was. Bless This House TV Series - the best job ever!


Robin Stewart sadly died in November 2015. As we left the crematorium the signature tune of Bless This House played, starting with the 3 bells at the beginning. It was very moving. Sid's daughter Susan was with me and we both shed a tear.

 
 
Can you tell me what it was like to become part of the Carry On team with Carry On Abroad in 1972?



I love being part of the Carry On history. My favourite Carry On is Carry On Nurse, and my favourite scene is The laughing gas scene in the operating theatre. My favourite on screen actor from the Carry On's is Charles Hawtrey. I was more than proud to be mentioned in Kenneth Williams Diaries. He was always very nice to me.


I would love to have a little cameo role in the new Carry On movie, what  a thrill that would be.
 
Thanks again to Sally for taking time to chat to me about her life and career. You can find out more about Sally via her website: http://www.sallygeeson.com/

You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment